Seiten

Montag, 3. August 2009

Irish Pubs continued

I just wanted to back up the connection of Irish pubs and shit music once more:

Sting - So Lonely
George Michael - Amazing
Brian Adams - I'd do anything for love
Beatles - Hello Goodbye
Manu Chao - Me Gusta
Aretha Franklin - Baby, baby, baby
Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry

I ain't saying all these songs are whack. But please - stop nodding your heads slightly and tapping your feet and pretending you know the lyrics by moving your lips to the few lines you think you can't be caught singing wrong while sipping on your Guiness. I think it's blasphemous to play absolutely brilliant songs like No Woman No Cry in a bloody pub.

My latest theory is that they play all this music because EVERYBODY knows it and EVERYBODY likes it - and at least NOBODY can hate on it. I call it opportunism!

Have you ever asked yourself why - wherever on this planet: Hong Kong, Rome, Berlin, Melbourne, L.A. - you'll always find at least two Irish guys hanging out there?
Probably all Irish pubs around the world are only designed to comfort Irishmen on the road. I believe the average Irish guy spends more time in the pub than at home. Maybe this is just a prejudice, but certainly a very appealing one.

So, the final conclusion is that deep down we all want to be Irish and that is why Irish pub owners can make a living.