Seiten

Montag, 6. Juli 2009

Irish Pubs and Shit Music

I’ve heard that Irish pubs get all their interior from suppliers who sell not much but retro-ads, lampshades and all this used-look-furniture. It’s obvious that almost every Irish pub, wherever on this planet, looks the same from the inside. But I’ve figured something else.


Did you ever pay attention to the music in Irish pubs? In fact I’ve not been to a pub with that Irish folk music yet. Actually it’s hard to say, because in pubs you scarcely pay attention to the background music. Do you remember what songs you heard in Irish pubs?

My guess is that the pub supply store has a mp3-CD-for-free offer. To verify that I went to the pub and sat there for hours just to capture the playlist. And I drank beer, of course. Here’s my finding:

1. System Of A Down – Chop Suey
2. Guns n’ Roses – Paradise City
3. Blink 182 – All the small things
4. Kings Of Leon – Sex on Fire
5. Placebo – Every me and every you
6. Gloria Gaylor – I will survive
7. Avril Lavigne – Complicated
8. Metallica – Master Of Puppets
9. Metallica – Whiskey on the Jar
10. Jon Bon Jovi – It’s my life
11. Elvis Presley – Jailhouse Rock
12. Die Ärzte – Schrei nach Liebe
13. Metallica – Master of Puppets
14. Green Day – Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
15. Creed – Sacrifice

The weird thing is not only that they play ‚Master of Puppets’ twice but that there was not one song that I didn’t know. How strange is that? OK, OK, the most recent song was ‚Bvd of broken dreams’, so the rest is NOT brand new.

I think the pub supply store assistant who burns these CDs in his no window basement appartment needs serious taste improvement. I bet he’s one of these guys who genetically can’t accept that there is great music besides Metallica. I hope someday someone will set free this poor man from his dusty one-way "hey,-that’s-a-classic"-taste.