Seiten

Mittwoch, 10. Juni 2009

Rain

How many people decide to go for a walk as it starts to rain?


Most people do not like rain. That is a fact. However I never really understood it. I think rain is one of the greatest things that can happen if you want to go for a walk - as long as you got an umbrella.

A few months ago I was down at the Rhine banks with a friend. We were talking and it rained, but not too hard. This was actually the day on which I changed my mind. Nobody else was there except for a cyclist racing home and an old man walking his dog. More precisely he was the one who changed my mind - because he was singing. He sang as loud as he could. I could not identify which opera he was singing, but his voluminous voice still sounded in my ears as he was already hundreds of meters away.

I thought of him being my grandfather and how cool it was to tell someone: "Well, when it starts to rain my grandfather grabs his dog and umbrella and goes for a walk singing operas to the gray clouds."

The con of strolling in the rain is that you will get wet. However, the pro is: You can go anywhere and you are going to be alone because everyone fears the rain. You can linger around places that are normally more than crowded and have time for nothing but you and what surrounds you. You can sing operas or practise your French or talk to yourself or make up dialogues or letters or speeches. You can talk and talk and talk the greatest bullshit to all these buildings around you - and nobody cares.

You are sick of all those tourists, spoiling the streets of your city? Wait until they are sweeped off the sidewalks by falling water.

Go out in the rain!